Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Prior to undergoing a procedure with intravenous sedation, you should follow these guidelines:
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for six hours prior to the appointment. (Except when directed to take premedication)
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home. Also, someone will need to be with you for 8-12 hours after you return home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Runyon, Dr. Marre, Dr. Khandelwal and Dr. Rainero prior to your surgical date for instructions.